Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Program

Heating Oil

“I need to cleanup a heating oil tank release.”

7/2/2020: To our customers and partners.

The 2020 Legislature passed a bill that transitions PLIA’s Heating Oil Insurance Program to a Loan and Grant Program.

PLIA’s Loan and Grant Program provides up to $75,000 for heating oil tank owners to:

  • Pay for site assessment and cleanup of releases.
  • Upgrade, replace or remove heating oil tank systems to prevent future releases.
  • Install new infrastructure.

Accepted program participants will receive a grant up to $5,000 to determine the level of cleanup required and the anticipated costs.

To be eligible for the program, applicants must:

  • Submit a complete  Heating Oil Loan and Grant application.
  • Own the property where the heating oil tank is located or provide written consent from the property owner to abide by program requirements.

Applications for the Loan and Grant Program will be available on July 20, 2020. Please check this page often for updates and announcements.

Effective July 2, 2020, existing heating oil registrations can be transitioned to a new owner if done within 180 days, but no new heating oil registrations will be accepted. Claims on existing insurance registrations in place before July 2, 2020, or on registrations that are transferred to a new owner will continue to be honored.



How It Is Funded

The program is funded by a fee that heating oil dealers pay per gallon of heating oil sold. Heating oil is defined as diesel, kerosene or stove oil.

What the insurance covers

  • Up to $60,000 for cleanup contamination, not covered by other insurance, on your property (and/or a neighboring property).
  • The contamination must come from a leak that starts after a heating oil tank is registered with PLIA. The tank may be underground, above-ground, or in a basement.
  • The tank must be registered in the current owner’s name.
  • Reimbursement up to $1,500 to repair damages on neighboring property (third party coverage) such as landscaping, flooring, painting, etc.

What Is Not Covered

  • Leaks from abandoned or decommissioned tanks, or other sources.
  • Leaks that start before registering with PLIA.
  • Property restoration on your property (first party coverage).
  • Removal/repair/replacement of the tank/lines/furnace (not including reimbursement of new tank replacement costs according to RCW 70.149.120).
  • Emergency heat restoration.
  • Heating oil lost in the release.

How Claims Are Filed

If you suspect a release from your registered heating oil tank, you must contact PLIA at 1-800-822-3905 or (360) 407-0520 to file a claim. You have 30 calendar days from the date the tank is disconnected from the furnace to file a claim.

  • PLIA will investigate the claim, which may include taking photos of your property and the failed tank.
  • You will hire a contractor authorized to do cleanup under the program from our Heating Oil Service Provider List (pdf).
  • All work must be approved by PLIA before the work starts.

Real Estate Transactions

If a registered owner sells the property, or transfers ownership in any way, then the coverage under the Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Program ends.

To avoid any lapse in coverage, the new owner of the property must register within 180 days from the date of the property transfer.

Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Registration Form:
Submit Online or Print & Mail (pdf)

Homeowners may register at any time, however the effective date of the coverage will begin on the date we receive the registration form if more than 180 days has passed from the date ownership changed.

Policy, Statute, and Rules

The Colony Insurance Company provides the Pollution Liability Insurance Policy (pdf) for coverage of the Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Program.

The Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Program is also governed by the Revised Code of Washington – Chapter 70.149 RCW and the Washington Administrative Code – Chapter 374-70 WAC.